Thursday, 26 May 2011

No one in Cornwall should miss out on Olympic Torch route

Today I have written to Cornwall Council Leader Alec Robertson about his plans to lobby for the Olympic Torch to travel through his home town of Helston:

Dear Alec

I see from this week's paper that you are lobbying for the Olympic torch to travel through Helston during its progress from Land's End to Plymouth.

Of course, like you, I would like the torch to travel through my own town. I think that the sight of the torch at the top of Launceston Castle would be an iconic image for Cornwall.

The promotional material from the Olympic organisers is that 95% of the UK population will be within 1 hour's travel time of the torch on its route. I would ask you to lobby the appropriate people to make sure that every person in Cornwall is within an hour's travel time of the torch relay.

I agree with you that it is fantastic news that the torch is beginning its progress in Cornwall, but it would be extremely disappointing if it turned out that many residents will, in fact, miss out.

Yours

Alex


No comments: