Tuesday, 19 October 2010

Camelford decision not yet taken (yeah, right)

So what is going on with Camelford Leisure Centre?

A senior council officer last week told the staff at the leisure centre that they should be looking for other jobs because the centre will be closing.

That was directly contradicted by Cabinet member Joan Symons at today's Full Council meeting. She was absolutely firm in saying that no decision has yet been made.

I am sure that the formal redundancy notices have not yet been served on staff, but nonetheless the decision has been made to abandon Camelford Leisure Centre. This decision is known across the leisure services sector in Cornwall. I do not believe that there is any prospect that the Cabinet will change its mind on this matter. At least the senior officer was being open and honest with staff.

The people of Camelford have already started to campaign against the move on Facebook and through the press but (as Graham Smith points out) they have been told that they will not be able to bring their case to the Cabinet meeting next week. If Cornwall Council was following the procedure that they pledged then this proposed cut could be considered alongside all the other budget changes. There could be a proper debate about priorities and the people of Camelford and their supporters could have their say. Sadly, that does not appear to be the case.

No comments: